Welcome! A big Border Terrier "WOOF" to you! This blog is dedicated to ALL terrier enthusiasts and ALL dog lovers, particularly those of us lucky enough to be owned by one or more Border Terriers! Sometimes funny, sometimes irreverent, hopefully informative but always interesting and always with our dogs at heart. Come on and enter the den!


Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Puppies Are Almost "Grown"!


It is one of the most unimaginable things! I cannot believe tomorrow will be 8 weeks since our puppies were born! Where has the time gone? From blind little "moles" to "real dogs" in just eight weeks! Unbelievable!
In a couple more weeks most of them will have new homes and those people will be thrilled. I think the pups will be also as we have tried valiantly to find good homes and I think the pups are ready for "people bonding". But it is going to be pretty hard to see them go. The saving grace is that (hopefully) we will keep in touch and follow them throughout their lives while hearing about and enjoying all their adventures!
I have tried to socialize and acclimate them to a variety of different experiences. They have been such beautiful "blank slates" - ready for learning and such happy, willing students. What precious little gems they are!
When the dust settles I will have more "reflections" about this experience. For now I am amazed every day how they grow and how vital the role of the breeder is in their development. It would be easy to just let them sit around in a pen and when they are old enough, send them out into the world. But it is infinitely more important to them and their new families (and to me!) to do all I can to start their lives on a solid and loving footing. They didn't ask to be born.... I, as a breeder, made a decision to bring these puppies into the world and it is my obligation to make their existence as happy and productive as I can through the limited time I have with them. AND IT IS SO MUCH MORE FUN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment