Welcome! A big Border Terrier "WOOF" to you! This blog is dedicated to ALL terrier enthusiasts and ALL dog lovers, particularly those of us lucky enough to be owned by one or more Border Terriers! Sometimes funny, sometimes irreverent, hopefully informative but always interesting and always with our dogs at heart. Come on and enter the den!


Monday, March 12, 2012

Walking Dogs with Crutches

My wheels are coming off! Feels like that as I age sometimes. I've had a bad right knee for many years with multiple surgeries on that one. Now the "good" knee (left) is giving me fits with a small fissure fracture on the bottom of the femur. Am waiting for a knee brace to 'unload" the medial side of my knee so it can heal. Otherwise I have to stay off my feet or use crutches.
So I have been exercising my dogs around the ranch most days. They run off lead while I hobble around on cructhes. We havent been to the big park down the road in weeks. Yesterday I decided to get them out to the park somehow! And off we went. Dogs, me and a pair of crutches.
Now I dont recommend this technique if your dogs pull alot, but with Kate and Charlie who dont pull it worked out fine! I tied their leashes together and looped the combination over my neck. Left my hands free to handle the crutches and kept  the leashes up in the air above the dogs so they didnt get tangled up in them. Just be careful that they dont crisscross the leads too many times or you may get hung! Must have been a sight as several people gave me "high fives" for effort as we walked.
Just goes to show where there is a will.....

No comments:

Post a Comment