Welcome! A big Border Terrier "WOOF" to you! This blog is dedicated to ALL terrier enthusiasts and ALL dog lovers, particularly those of us lucky enough to be owned by one or more Border Terriers! Sometimes funny, sometimes irreverent, hopefully informative but always interesting and always with our dogs at heart. Come on and enter the den!


Sunday, April 4, 2010

What I Learned From MY DOG

I wrote this in Sept 2008 just before that year's BTCA National Specialty, and with the next National Specialty coming up in May, it still applies. I have moved on with "Devlin" to other pursuits, and we have added another CH titled BT in our household since then, but "Devlin" continues to be one of my greatest teachers, if not the best one. Sometimes we forget why they are given to us, and it's always good to reflect on what they have given us. BTW, "Devlin" has earned all his Rally titles thru RE, his SE title and is working on his CD and ME. He continues to teach me each and every day, and I thank him for the priviledge.

From Sept 2008:
With the Specialty coming up next week, many thoughts are on winning classes, finishing and earning new titles. Recently I had the opportunity to sit and reflect about my experiences in the show ring with my CH titled bitch and my unfinished dog. It struck me that while earning that coveted CH title (or any other title) is a grand moment that one never forgets for each dog, I found that I had more memories and felt more pleasure from all the things that happened along the way. It was the learning, the teaching, the dog teaching me, both of us learning together, and the little successes that make the titles happen that were my fondest memories. It's the journey, not the destination. And it's how you make that trip that counts!

A true story....

MY DOG "finished" his conformation career this weekend. No, he didn't earn his CH, and he never will. We tried and tried, but it's not in the cards for him. We have much more we want to go and do, so it was only slightly bittersweet that we made the decision to stop. After our class we were sitting with some friends near the ring and beside some other large dogs in some rather large crates. MY DOG was lying at my feet. I didn't notice but a young girl and her mother walked up and the girl came close to the large white dogs in the large crates. Unfortunately she was met with a deep, throaty growl for her trouble. When I turned to see what was happening, the girl was clutching her mother's skirt and huddled next to her. She wasn't harmed physically, but a bit shell-shocked for sure. MY DOG was watching the girl and I noticed that she was looking at him, still clutching her mom's hand and skirt. I asked if she would like to pet MY DOG. Her mom wasn't too sure, but the girl said "yes' immediately. So MY DOG got up and came over. He sat down, but she wasn't getting too close. Then MY DOG performed a few of his tricks- he begged, he rolled over and he played dead. He finished with a big smile and a "high five". By now the little girl was smiling and reached out to pet him. Her mom asked what kind of dog he was and then they left. As we sat back down, one of my friends leaned over and said. "That was a very nice thing for him to do."At that moment I knew that while MY DOG would never have his CH title, in my mind and heart, and maybe in the little girl's as well, he was already a champion. With that little episode, we moved on. Though we didn't reach the CH destination, it's one of many memories from our journey that I will always treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment