Welcome! A big Border Terrier "WOOF" to you! This blog is dedicated to ALL terrier enthusiasts and ALL dog lovers, particularly those of us lucky enough to be owned by one or more Border Terriers! Sometimes funny, sometimes irreverent, hopefully informative but always interesting and always with our dogs at heart. Come on and enter the den!


Friday, May 21, 2010

Two Master Earthdog Titles on the Same Day!


I'm catching up on some posts I wanted to write the last few weeks, but have been too busy with work and breeding my youngest bitch to get written.
We had a SPECTACULAR weekend at the BTCR Earthdog tests in early May. My two oldest BTs , "Kate" and "Devlin" both earned their Master Earthdog titles the same weekend! They have been sitting with two ME legs for awhile while I finished getting certified as an AKC Earthdog judge most of last year. I would judge or apprentice at an ED test and not be able to run my dogs. This year I dedicated to the dogs and their having some fun getting the RATS!

And, boy, did they ever! They hunted during the walkup as nice as I could have wanted and they both found the rats first and marked them well. Kate had one minor issue with the digging during one unsuccessful run (she backed up) and Devlin wanted to come back out and see me on one test (but made it back in and to the rats in time!). I worked Sunday AM with Kate in a small section of tunnel above ground. I baited her with some chicken as she came through the tunnel section. And as she ate (while still inside the tunnel section) I scratched and clawed on the tunnel section top and, in general, made a big racket above her head. If she stopped eating or backed up, the chicken disappeared. We did this about four times. Next run she had no problem with the judge's digging! I'll post a picture of them getting their qualifying ribbons shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment