Welcome! A big Border Terrier "WOOF" to you! This blog is dedicated to ALL terrier enthusiasts and ALL dog lovers, particularly those of us lucky enough to be owned by one or more Border Terriers! Sometimes funny, sometimes irreverent, hopefully informative but always interesting and always with our dogs at heart. Come on and enter the den!


Friday, March 19, 2010

Go Do Somethng With Your Dog!

I recently watched the Westminster Kennel Club show on TV- only 4 weeks after the fact! David Frey, the marketing voice of WKC, was saying something that struck home to me. David said, "People should get out and do something with their dog!" Whether you take your dog for a walk, teach him / her a new trick, take them to the pet store or try a new competitive sport, spring is a great time to "do something with your dog!" Spend some quality time together. It will do you and your dog a world of good.
After taking my dogs for a 2 to 3 mile walk most days in a big park near our home, I come back refreshed and re-invigorated. My stress level is way down and the walking is keeping my waistline in check as well!
Recently I have been spending some additional, one-on-one quality time with each dog. Sometimes I take one for a walk alone and the others as a group later. Other times I make sure one gets some extra, special playtime with me. Their attitudes change remarkably when they get this special attention. You bond improves and training becomes easier, more effective and more efficient.
Spring is a great time to be out with your dog. The hills and fields are greening, the weather is mild, many clubs re-start activities like earthdog and tracking trials, and others begin new training classes after a winter's hiatus. Find one or more activities you and your dog would like to try and "go do something with your dog!"

No comments:

Post a Comment